Monday, June 22, 2009

Post 35: RAF Museum in London







The visit to the RAF museum just outside of London was a highlight of the trip for me. In fact Stephanie and Abby thought it would be too exciting so they stayed back at the hotel while I spent the day. Before beginning my day at the museum I drove to Heathrow to return our rental car. I had heard horror stories of driving in London but I had no problem. After a long ride on the tube I arrived in Colindale and walked a few miles to the museum. As it turned out it was the Queen's birthday and a massive celebration was planned at Buckingham Palace. The RAF had a fly over which included a trio of legendary WWII planes; a Hawker Hurricane,  Supermarine Spitfire, and Avro Lancaster. I arrived just in time for the fly over and it was great to see those old planes airborne. 
The museum itself contains one of the finest collections of aircraft in Europe. Only the Imperial War Museum at Duxford has a comparable collection.  The fighter aircraft hanger included some standard warbirds like the P-51 and the ME 109. But they also had some very rare aircraft like the British Hawker Typhoon, the Japanese Ki-84, and the German ME-262.  The bomber hanger included some really nice planes as well-  a U.S. B-25, B 17 and best of all a B-24 Liberator. This was my first time to see a Liberator which never achieved the fame of the B-17, but was actually produced in greater numbers and was a very effective bomber. Representing the British bombers were some more very rare aircraft including the Lancaster, Vickers Wellington, and Handley Page Halifax. 

The Historic Hanger's Collection included some more rare aircraft such as the Bristol Beaufighter and Beaufort, Curtis Kittyhawk, and a Hawker Tempest. This was a real treat because I had never seen any of these aircraft in person. Of course the collection included aircraft from WWI and the Cold War, but my primary interest is WWII. There was one huge let down however. The Battle of Britain Exhibit was closed while they installed a new roof. So I missed the ME- 110 and the Stuka Dive Bomber (as well as the well reviewed audio visual presentation of the battle). 
I am glad that Stephanie and Abby decided to stay at the hotel. I think the excitement would have been too much for their little hearts to handle. Of course Steph was pleased to learn that I took over 60 pictures so she wouldn't miss a thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment