Jody here... Today was our first day to worship with the congregation in Buckie. The hymns were familair to us for the most part and the people were very warm and friendly. They didn't seem to have any problem understanding me when I preached, but I still find their accent hard to follow. They speak Doric which is a combination of Galic and English. When they are conscious of speaking to us they speak 'proper' English as they call it and we have no problem. But once they begin to converse among themselves it takes quite an effort to follow the conversation.
After morning worship we were invited to lunch with Annette Jappy and her family. Annette's husband Les is an elder in the church, but he is out to sea on an oil rig. About half a dozen men from the church work on the drilling platforms. Anette's meal was wonderful - especially the quiche.
Tonight I visited the Methodist church for a service and heard my student Andrew preach. I am working with Andrew using material from my homiletics class at JBC. We hope to get him some credit through Dallas Theological for the work we do together. I am quite impressed with his devotion and his skill. The folks at the Methodist church were very inviting and there seems to be a good spirit of cooperation between the various denominations in the area. I have already been asked to speak to a Methodist group that is working on a play based on 9/11. Once they learned I was American they wanted me to speak to them.
It appears there will be plenty of opportunities to get involved in the life of the community. I think we'll strike a nice balance between ministry, retreat, research and sightseeing. Finally just a few random thoughts:
1. I am still amazed that Hertz upgraded us to a luxury Volvo at no extra cost.
2. The weather changes here about every 15 minutes and the changes are dramatic.
3. Cullen Skink tastes better than it sounds.
After morning worship we were invited to lunch with Annette Jappy and her family. Annette's husband Les is an elder in the church, but he is out to sea on an oil rig. About half a dozen men from the church work on the drilling platforms. Anette's meal was wonderful - especially the quiche.
Tonight I visited the Methodist church for a service and heard my student Andrew preach. I am working with Andrew using material from my homiletics class at JBC. We hope to get him some credit through Dallas Theological for the work we do together. I am quite impressed with his devotion and his skill. The folks at the Methodist church were very inviting and there seems to be a good spirit of cooperation between the various denominations in the area. I have already been asked to speak to a Methodist group that is working on a play based on 9/11. Once they learned I was American they wanted me to speak to them.
It appears there will be plenty of opportunities to get involved in the life of the community. I think we'll strike a nice balance between ministry, retreat, research and sightseeing. Finally just a few random thoughts:
1. I am still amazed that Hertz upgraded us to a luxury Volvo at no extra cost.
2. The weather changes here about every 15 minutes and the changes are dramatic.
3. Cullen Skink tastes better than it sounds.
Isn't it funny that it can be raining/misting in the morning so you think that you wont go out then a little while later it is fine. It has been raining for the last week in Knoxville. And when it rains it pours. Good for the flowers and plants though.
ReplyDelete