Could it be? Did the temperature actually get warm enough to wear short sleeves? After spending most of the week indoors, we longed to get outside in the sunshine, and the temperature actually felt hot! We drove west along the Moray Coast to Lossiemouth. We'd heard that it's a beautiful beach, and we have to agree. Abby enjoyed trying to "sneak up" on the tide and giggled every time the waves chased her back towards dry sand. We enjoyed a 2 mile walk down the beach to the lighthouse. Abby and Jody enjoyed a "stroll", since you don't really go too fast with a 4 yr old on the beach. I enjoyed a short jog/walk and went about finding a nice spot for a family picture.
Jody didn't mind Abby poking along, because the RAF Lossiemouth (Royal Air Force base) was right across the road from the beach. He kept his eyes on the skies overhead watching the Tornadoes fly over.
We finally made it to the lighthouse, where Jody climbed to the top of the hill to look in a pillbox (from where soldiers practiced firing their weapons during WWII). Did I mention the tank traps all along the beach? Abby and I explored the caves in the cliffs, and on the way back she stopped every 10 or 20 paces (we counted) to write her name in the sand. She also learned how to write "mom" and "dad". The teacher in me was so proud. Jody ran ahead to watch the airplanes-again.
For the first time during our trip, I've felt like we were on vacation. I've always associated the beach with vacation thanks to my parents and our family trips to the beach. It felt good to feel the sand between my toes, but the water was ohhh sooo cold! And it was nice to hear Abby giggling over the sound of waves hitting the beach.
I think this should be the family Christmas card!
ReplyDelete