We had a knock on our door about 1:30 in the afternoon on Monday. Bill Clark, an elder in the church, stopped by to take us to the bowling green just down the hill. Every time we've driven by the harbor, I've been curious about the perfectly manicured green lawn. I had never seen anyone out, so I wasn't quite sure how bowling works. Bill is the greens keeper at this bowling club, so he spent a couple of hours patiently showing us (mostly Jody) how to play the game. The balls are weighted so that they curve in the direction you want them to go. Whoever gets closest to the white ball (the jack) at the end of the round gets the point (or points, depending on how many of your balls get closest to the jack). The game reminds us of horseshoes. I started out rolling the balls pretty well--then I started concentrating too hard after Bill gave me some pointers.My balls started getting wobbly and going the wrong direction when I would forget to aim to the right or left of the jack. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Jody faired about as well as I did, but we had a good time. I left early with Abby, who kept waving her fairy wand to help our balls get close to the jack.
Bill is a funny guy with a great sense of humor. Although he's lived single all his life, we've noticed that the ladies like to fuss over him. He's the same one who came to fix our toilet and ended up spraying water all over the bathroom. Instead of finding the cut-off valve for the water line, he decided to do a "quickie" as he called it and hurriedly fixed the toilet with the water line still open. Oh man! I stayed upstairs, and Jody kept the mop handy. Bill managed to fix the toilet with no water damage and little mess, but we'll never forget our friend Bill.
No comments:
Post a Comment