We awoke Thursday to a beautiful bright sunny day--still cold and windy, but very sunny. In fact, Abby woke before 6 am. The sun rises here about 4 am and doesn't set until about 10 pm. That's one part of Scotland I won't miss! After a delicious and large breakfast, we packed up and headed to the beach on the west side of the island. There we spent an hour looking for the rare green stones. We found only one, but our hostess had given each of us one before we left our Bed and Breakfast. We did find some other green stones that were just as beautiful, and we loaded our pockets to bring some home.
After leaving the beach, we went back into the small town to tour the Abbey and museum. Again, the island felt like such a holy place, and we felt priveleged to have made the pilgrimage here. Jody especially appreciated getting to see St. John's and St. Matthew's crosses. We couldn't leave before purchasing our own small celtic cross to keep as a reminder of this special place. From the ferry, Jody took some pictures of the Abbey and other smaller islands surrounding Iona.
Jody here. The trip to Iona was indeed a blessing, but I wish we had more time on the island. I think one needs to stay for several days to get into the rhythm of the island. Because of our arrival and departure times we missed worship in the Abbey. But Abby (our daughter, not the church) and I were able to spend some time in prayer in St. Columba's little chapel. Abby enjoyed St. Columba's Chapel because it is just big enough for four or five people. It was a great place to pray and she offered up a beautiful prayer asking God's protection for her friends and family back in the States.
My hike to Columba's Bay was wonderful. The road ended at a common grazing pasture that also doubled as a golf course. Seems the Scotts must have a golf course - even on an island with only 70 or so houses. Of course one had to dodge the Sheep droppings, but I suppose any sacrifice can be made for their beloved game. As I hiked across the course / pasture I was buzzed by an RAF Tornado going full out at low altitude. I enjoyed the moment, but somehow the Tornado seemed out of place here. Once across the course the trail ascended a rocky hill. I had been warned of bogs but it had not rained in some time so the trail was dry enough. I passed a small lake and then the trail descended toward the sea. Before me a pasture opened up leading right to the bay which was flanked by high hills. Looking out over the ocean I could see several other small islands and outcroppings. The water was a clear as any I've seen including in the Caribbean. I spent about three hours along the shore praying and building a little Celtic cross from the smooth stones on the shore. Each stone represented a person in my life and the prayer I offered for them. It was a good time spent with God.
On the return trip the weather was fine so while Steph and Abby played in the children's lounge of the ferry, I sat on the top deck. In the distance I could see the Black Cuillins of Skye (which we visited earlier) as well as the island of Staffa which is composed entirely of volcanic rock. We passed several castles and a lighthouse as well. You just can't get this combination of scenery in Tennessee.
These are some beautiful pictures!!
ReplyDelete